8.26.2009

Yelp - let us decide for you

Once upon a time I was a member of yelp, a basic supporter and a fan of most of my clients, for example; the Corvette Shop of San Diego has done countless hours of amazing work to my Caddy and I love dealing with them. I would recommend that shop to anyone looking for solid LS-series engine work.

So then I got a notice saying I had been canned due to advertising on yelp. I thought yelp was a listings service for businesses, like the yellow pages, a place to advertise - but what do I know, right?

At this point reviews of my company on yelp (along with my clients reviews) were wiped clean. Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars, go directly to jail.

Today, a client of mine, Happy Pest Control called me and asked why their "featured review" of Full Monty Marketing wasn't on my yelp page. I asked them when they wrote it, and Happy told me that it was brand new, maybe a week or two old. When I searched for it, it had been deleted.

Moral of the story:
No matter how well people like your company, the staff at Yelp can decide they don't want to deal with your firm and continually blackball you for no apparent reason.